We’re almost there: 5 days to Kona! Today, we introduce to you Jennifer Schaffner, an American Argonette. A triathlete since 2010, she already raced 10 Ironmans! Unbelievable. Good show, Jennifer! “Third time’s a charm!” (That’s her motto for her 3rd World Championship participation.)
- Jennifer Schaffner
- Age 44, but competing in 45-49 this year because her birthday is in October
- 6 years as a triathlete
- Career highlights
- Since 2010: Raced 10 Ironmans
- 2015: 1st in AG at Ironman Louisville
- 3rd World Championship participation
- Bike: E-119 Tri+
- Bike set-up
- Shimano Ultegra Di2 / Zipp 404/808 wheel set on race day
- Definitely the run but I have worked hard over the years to improve my bike!
- Personal saying
- “Third time’s a charm!” (That’s my motto for this race.) For this year, my motto has been: “It’s never too late to be what you might have been.”
- What is your bike split objective?
- I haven’t biked to my potential yet in Kona and I think it’s because I have held back too much in fear of imploding on the run. This year I plan to take a risk and go for a Kona bike PR.
- Favourite food during the race
- Bike: Bonk Breaker Peanut Butter & Jelly
- Run: green grapes in the Energy Lab
- Superstition/preparation ritual
- In 10 Ironman races I have never made a run special needs bag because I don’t let myself consider the possibility that things might go wrong on the run. That strategy has always worked out and I don’t plan to change it for Kona.